Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) sicilian kan by Hellsten (Read 53527 times)
jdcannon
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: sicilian kan by Hellsten
Reply #34 - 08/09/15 at 14:56:15
Post Tools
I really enjoy this book and play all the lines. I had been having trouble with some of the attacks that White gets especially in the mainlines where black played d6. To try to remedy this I started analyzing games in the Kan Lines and putting them on Youtube. Its really helped me out a lot.
« Last Edit: 08/18/15 at 20:16:38 by GMTonyKosten » 
Reason: Spam 

Blog: chess.com/blogs/jdcannon
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAu6s9kRwAQ9TGAiW0D3jZA
Twitch: twitch.tv/jdcannon
IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #33 - 10/16/12 at 20:53:00
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 10/16/12 at 20:20:38:
Yes, but needing patience doesn't mean the positions are boring or dull, as some people think.  Usually all of the pieces and 14 of the pawns stay on the board for 20+ moves.  Even if there isn't a big clash right away, when it comes...look out! 

I never understood how 1.e4 was supposed to be so exciting, when a lot of the old fashioned Open lines (for instance), have been worked out to mass exchanges.  There's very little of that kind of thing in the Hedgehog! 

And this is the one of the main things I have to remember is that having patience does not equal boring!  It's like setting your pieces up for a little longer before boom!  and you get exciting positions when it opens up and even if it stays closed you can play some amazing games also, the second game in Emms new book in the hedgehog position is a perfect example of this kind of play. and I like positions without massive axchanges early in the game, I like to play an actual middlegame with pieces!

« Last Edit: 10/16/12 at 22:43:01 by Michael Wilde »  

"Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone."-Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #32 - 10/16/12 at 20:20:38
Post Tools
Yes, but needing patience doesn't mean the positions are boring or dull, as some people think.  Usually all of the pieces and 14 of the pawns stay on the board for 20+ moves.  Even if there isn't a big clash right away, when it comes...look out! 

I never understood how 1.e4 was supposed to be so exciting, when a lot of the old fashioned Open lines (for instance), have been worked out to mass exchanges.  There's very little of that kind of thing in the Hedgehog!

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #31 - 10/16/12 at 20:03:22
Post Tools
I have a feeling that I am not used to playing such structures as the hedgehog, but that it is one of those things that if you put in the work, you get back good results, and like I said before I guess you need a little patietence.  Again looking at the master games and reading the intro tho Shipov's book, its like delveloping your pieces behind your pawn chain as black like winding up a spring or somwthing and then Wham!  The position openins up and you go from a positional cat and mouse to sometimes a full blown tactical battle where all of your pieces spring to life.  And other times you slowy better your position while you wait for white to show his hand.  the Hedgehog is very interseting.  I saw one game where the king went to h8 the f rook went c8, the queen back to d8 from c7 then to g8 and then g5, followed by a very tactical game in which black really hammered his opp.  So I bet you could learn a lot about chess in general from studying the Hedgehog not just the opening!

Smiley

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #30 - 10/16/12 at 16:07:00
Post Tools
Hedgehog structures are some of the best ways for Black to play for a win, in my opinion.  They're very demanding, strategically and tactically, for both sides.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #29 - 10/16/12 at 13:43:36
Post Tools
No problem! Btw, the Hedgehog set-up maybe isn't the most dangerous try theoretically, but it is solid and Black has to time the counterplay well. I also like the plan with the advance of the h-pawn.

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #28 - 10/15/12 at 21:49:59
Post Tools
fling wrote on 10/15/12 at 07:04:19:
I have the book the Hedgehog 2 by Shipov, but haven't actually started reading it. However, I think it would be a good addition to Play the Kan by Hellsten.

Thanks for the advice!

Smiley

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #27 - 10/15/12 at 07:04:19
Post Tools
I have the book the Hedgehog 2 by Shipov, but haven't actually started reading it. However, I think it would be a good addition to Play the Kan by Hellsten.

IP Logged

Michael Wilde

Reply #26 - 10/14/12 at 21:13:39
Post Tools
Just became intersted in this opening, after taking up the Taimanov, and I have this book and it really is good.  I have a question for Kan players, how do you like to deal with the Maroczy bind, are there other books that give other lines that you like better, or other sources?  I have been looking at games on chessgames.com and see a lot of games with the rapid h pawn advance which I think is covered in some lines in this book too.  Any way am new to the Kan and this book is my only resource, any other suggestion besides of course ChessPub.

Would love to hear people opinions and advice about this opening!

I have noticed that this opening is showing up more lately at top tourament play like Dmitry Andreikin using it to win in tie breaks the Russian Super Final

[Event "Russian Superfinals (Tiebreak)"]
[Site "Moscow RUS"]
[Date "2012.08.13"]
[EventDate "2012.08.03"]
[Round "2"]
[Result "0-1"]
[White "Evgeny Alekseev"]
[Black "Dmitry Andreikin"]
[ECO "B42"]
[WhiteElo "2673"]
[BlackElo "2715"]
[PlyCount "78"]

Smiley

IP Logged

Claus Jensen

I Love Chess!

Reply #25 - 07/21/12 at 21:20:50
Post Tools
Gilchrist is a legend wrote on 05/13/12 at 20:31:38:
On p. 237, last paragraph, it mentions 13...Ngf6 14. Bh6 Bf8. I looked at this line, and it seems to me that there is nothing wrong with this line for Black, or am I missing something? Instead of 13...h5! (the ! being Hellsten's annotation), the option of simply developing the knight and then offering a trade of the dark-squared bishops seems fine for Black, since the latter would be a goal for Black anyway. I would rather play this line (13...Ngf6) for Black instead of White.

This is the position discussed

13...h5 is indeed the recommendation of Hellsten in his book, but I also see no major problems for black after 13...Ngf6!?

Sjugirov (2412)-Caruana (2421) 1-0, 2006
13...Ngf6 14.Bh6 Bf8 15.Qd2 Bxh6 16.Qxh6 Rg8 17.f4 0-0-0
as in most variations of the Kan black is a little cramped and although he has no real weaknesses, the white position seems more straight forward to play

Popilsky (2372) - Lopez Martinez (2531) ˝-˝, 2008
13...Ngf6 14.Bh6 Ne5!? (also mentioned in Hellsten's book) 15.h3 b5! 16.f4 Nh5!? (16...Nc4 is unclear according to Shavtvaladze)
The position after 14...Ne5!? is still very rich and very much untouched territory. Is this because it's bad for black?

Claus Jensen
http://www.clausjensen.com
150+ annotated chess videos
IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #24 - 05/13/12 at 20:31:38
Post Tools
On p. 237, last paragraph, it mentions 13...Ngf6 14. Bh6 Bf8. I looked at this line, and it seems to me that there is nothing wrong with this line for Black, or am I missing something? Instead of 13...h5! (the ! being Hellsten's annotation), the option of simply developing the knight and then offering a trade of the dark-squared bishops seems fine for Black, since the latter would be a goal for Black anyway. I would rather play this line (13...Ngf6) for Black instead of White.

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Zatara

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 03/21/09 at 05:04:38
Post Tools
thanks everyone for your additional comments.  I looked at the thread Antilian sent, looks good.
Thanks,
Zatara

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #22 - 03/20/09 at 12:01:48
Post Tools
Zatara wrote on 03/03/09 at 05:55:18:
Hi all,
I am wondering is hellsten's coverage of the Kan sharper than say the sharpest Accelerated Dragon lines??  Is the Kan as sharp or shaper than the Taimanov??
Thanks,
Zatara

You may want to look at this old Kan vs. Taimanov thread

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1146111676/0

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

Papageno

FM

Reply #21 - 03/20/09 at 10:00:15
Post Tools
In his foreword, Hellsten says that previosly to his love for the sicilian structures he used to play the Caro-Kann and the Petroff. But there were moments when he felt a little bored with them. His choice of the Kan seems to generate more chances to play for a win.

One of his main lines goes 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 e6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 a6 5. Bd3 Bc5 6. Nb3 Be7 7. O-O d6 8. Qg4 g6 9. Qe2 Nd7 10. Nc3 Qc7 11. Bd2 b6 12. Rae1 Bb7 13. Kh1 h5 *
This is entertaining and unbalanced, I'd say. Hellsten's repertoire contains numerous situations where Black delays castling for a long time. I guess this is not everyone's cup of tea. And yet, the Kan is very often a positional and strategical opening. It definitely has less forced lines and less "theory" to memorize than some other sicilians.

On the other hand, White can go for 5.c4 and then Black according to Hellsten will answer with a hedgehog setup. Or take the symmetrical structures after 5. Nc3 Qc7 6. Be2 b5 7. O-O Bb7 8. Re1 Nc6 9. Nxc6 dxc6 as an example for a positional struggle ahead. Naturally, White decides much about how sharp this opening is.

So I find it impossible to say whether this opening is "sharper than the sharpest Accelerated Dragon lines". (BTW, what are the sharpest lines there? I'm under the impression that Accelerated Dragon lines tend to be so boring and drawish that even Tiviakov had switched to 1...d5 if he wants more than a safe draw...)

IP Logged

Scott

Why did I just move that?!

Reply #20 - 03/20/09 at 01:08:31
Post Tools
lnn2 wrote on 12/29/08 at 16:20:42:
Ultimately White is "+=" in many positions in this book, but hey White is also += in my beloved French and Caro-Kann and that hasn't stopped me from playing them.

I've taken up the Caro-Kann (and occasionally the French) recently myself. White might be considered to be "+=" in a lot of those positions, but Black's defense is hard to crack. Would that be true of the Kan, as well?

My style is somewhere between that of Petrosian and Tal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo